Article by John Mackinnon
The Learn and Master Bass Guitar Lesson DVDs are the most recent attempt by the folks at Learning Legacy Systems to produce yet another award winning guitar course. This all-video instructional program is designed to utilize a world-class bassist to teach someone with little or no experience how to play the bass in a logical, comprehensive, step-by-step way.
About The Instructor: According the publisher, Tony Marvelli is a professional bassist and instructor. He has played bass for Mark Schultz, gospel singer Andre Couch, American Idol Finalist Mandisa, Denver and the Mile High Orchestra and many others. Mr. Marvelli comes from a diverse musical background that includes Rock, Jazz, Folk, Big Band Swing as well as old-school R&B.
The Physical Parts of The Bass Guitar Course Include:
- 3 DVDs of over 4 hours of instruction- Downloadable Lessons support book- Play along Jam-Tracks for learning to play with a band- Online support for asking questions of the instructor and other bass students
The Lessons Include:
- The fundamental step-by-step basics for getting started- Learning to read music- Base line patterns- Music theory- Chords- Scales including the pentatonic and blues scales- Chord progressions- Learning to play the blues- Techniques: fast shuffles, palm muting, slow 12/8 bass, bends, pull-offs, hammer-ons, slide playing
This is not so much a negative as it is a tip for students that wish to view the DVDs on a laptop computer. Many laptop speakers are not designed to reproduce the sounds of the lowest of the base notes. This can result in either a garbled sound or no sound. Some of the simple solutions include; plugging a set of headphones or external speakers into the computer or playing the lessons on a DVD player connected to a standard television set.
- This is a full video format and not just occasional short video snippets.
- The Instructor, Tony Marvelli is a full time professional bassist and teacher.
- The instructor has a distinct and easy to understand style of speaking.
- The Legacy Learning Systems Company has never produced a bad product. Every one of their training courses that I have reviewed has been well organized with top notch instructors.
- The video is well produced with clear details.
Support and Guarantee: An Online Support Community is available to each student. A 60 Day Money Back Guarantee is standard on all purchases from Legacy Learning Systems.
The Bottom Line
At this point in time the Learn and Master Bass Guitar Lesson DVDs has received my first place rating for primarily three reasons. The first reason is based on their reputation for producing superior instructional programs time after time.
The second reason is that this course is the only one that I have encountered so far where the format is all-video and not just an eBook with short little video enhancements. The difference is a huge benefit to any student.
The third and final reason is that the instructor, Tony Marvelli, is a much more successful and experienced bassist than is offered in any other bass guitar course I have seen to date.
It is important to note that this is a pre-release review and not all of the information is yet available about this program. As it becomes available I will update this review. However, I have no hesitation in recommending the Leaar And Master Bass Guitar Lesson DVDs.
Learn And Master Bass Guitar If you would like to see how Learn and Master Bass stacks up feature by feature with other top bass guitar lesson programs just click this link:Bass Guitar Lessons Comparison Chart